Monday, February 6, 2012

Logos

Logos is the idea that facts and evidence is being used to support a claim or draw you to believe that something is true. Logos uses statistics and other forms of evidence to give the reader insight to actual data about an issue. When a picture or article is represented using charts, research, or any other logical form of information, that piece of work is using Logos. Even common sense is Logos. Take this for example; 2+2 = 5. Logos will tell you that the answer is 4 because that is a fact and you are using common sense and a mathematical formula to reach that conclusion.

Using Common Sense and Reasoning.

This section is the subconscious use of Logos. When you are deciding what to wear for the day and you look outside and see rain, you will most likely wear more clothing than if it was sunny outside. Your brain goes through a process like this:

Rain is wet and cold.
More clothing keeps me warmer and drier.
If I am wearing more clothing, the rain won’t make me as cold or wet.
I am going to wear more clothing.

We use logos every day, whether it is conscious, or subconscious.

I picked logos because it relates to my personality more than the other options. I am an extremely logical person and I feel we use logos more than Pathos (emotion) or Ethos (character).

From the second I wake up, I plan events that carry on through the day. Without logic, everything would be completely chaotic and even dangerous. I know I need to wake up before class and not when class starts. I know on the way to class I need to long board on the sidewalk and not in the street. I know that I need to eat food when my stomach is grumbling. All of which seem like no-brainers are all logos related.

When I was growing up, I hadn’t developed some of the common sense that I have today. I once was dirt biking and went off a jump going full speed, only to realize that there was a huge hill behind it and I was only supposed to ride over the jump. So I crashed, broke my bike, and got injured. Now looking back on it, it is amazing I didn’t figure out that there was no way to make that jump.



No comments:

Post a Comment